An Introduction to Energy and Commodity Markets
World Markets have never been so volatile, with the global energy and commodity prices seeing huge price swings, with the knock-on effect to currencies and stock prices.
This one-day highly participative course will concentrate on the market fundamentals of Commodities, with particular reference to oil and oil products, metals and other commodities. Teaching methodology will be via tutorials, case studies and exercises.
Who should attend
This is an essential course for those who require an understanding of the energy and commodity markets. Pricing, trading, hedging and risk.
No previous knowledge is required.
Global Commodity Markets
- Commodity Exchanges/ OTC markets
- Commodities as an asset class for institutional investors
- Commodity traders, banks and the supply chain
- Supply, demand and the weather
Oil and Oil products
- Range of crudes: West Texas Intermediate (WTI), Brent, Dubai/Oman
- Sweet vs Sour
- Market practice and Special features of power trading
- What is Platts – market reference rate?
- Trading spot, cash and physical delivery
- Forward and Futures Pricing
- Long and Short Hedging
- Derivatives – futures, options and swaps
- Commodity Indices - Goldman Sachs (GSCI, Thompson Reuters (CRB)
Examples and applications
Metals and other commodities
- Bullion and The London Bullion Market
- The London Metal Exchange (LME) – Industrial metals
- Softs- agricultural, livestock
As every course we run is tailored to meet the specific needs of each client, we can only provide an estimate after fully understanding your specific requirements. Please complete the form below of call +44 (0) 208 894 4977 to discuss how Taylor Associates can help you.